I think we need E3
Well, it’s here! The initial “big push” Summer Game Fest stream just ended. Here’s a big old Summer Game Fest 2022 recap: emphasis on old.
Vibe check? I was heavily reminded of the low key artifice of the PC Gaming Show throughout: where it was hard to tell what was actually a reveal and what had been shown weeks or months ago. There were lots of ads and a few “exclusives/world firsts” that were basically modified existing trailers. The Rock stopped by to plug his energy drink (twice) and showed off a trailer for his new movie, Black Adam. The “one more thing” final announcement was The Last of Us remake, which wouldn’t have hit that hard for a lot of people (myself included) even if it wasn’t leaked.
It’s been the prevailing wind in the air since E3 left the main stage in 2020. Instead of a unified weekend/slice of time where everyone can hone in, take off work, and get excited together: we’re once again repeating the formula of spreading out showcases. Despite the call to have less of those, there’s actually a healthy amount on track for next week, not to mention the rest of the summer. I wouldn’t have as much of a problem with a never-ending cavalcade of these things if they all delivered (even on an unintentionally comical, “laser/tag Mr. Caffeine” level): they do not.
At the end of the stream Geoff noted that Summer Game Fest will return as an “in person and digital event” in 2023. Hey, what a coincidence: the ESA just said E3 is allegedly doing the same! 2023 is going to be wild y’all.
Everything that happened at Summer Game Fest 2022:
- Summer Game Fest kickoff confirms Guile in Street Fighter 6
- Aliens: Dark Descent is coming in 2023
- The Callisto Protocol shows off its gory nightmare gameplay
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II takes to the sea in new campaign footage
- Thirty years later, Flashback is making a return to PC with a sequel
- Summer Game Fest confirms Witchfire early access is exclusive to Epic Games Store
- New sci-fi thriller Fort Solis stars Roger Clark and Troy Baker
- Routine is a creepy-looking android adventure headed to PC and Xbox
- Stormgate is a new F2P RTS from former Blizzard developers
- Highwater is an upcoming adventure indie that contemplates the end of the world
- American Arcadia has an interesting dystopian TV setup
- A new look at Marvel’s Midnight Suns includes Venom, Hulk, and more
- Goat Simulator 3 is going all in on co-op chaos
- Midnight Fight Express brings fast-paced isometric action this August
- Neon White speedruns through paradise on June 16
- Warframe is finally ready to show the Duviri Paradox expansion soon
- More funky fast action revealed from Zenless Zone Zero
- Super powered battle royale Super People is in final beta
- TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge hits June 16, with Casey Jones in the lineup
- Honkai: Star Rail got a flashy Summer Game Fest trailer
- Nightgale blends survival and card-crafting in a fantasy gaslit world
- Warhammer 40,000: Darktide gets a new gameplay trailer
- Saints Row Boss Factory lets you craft your own Boss starting today
- Humankind is coming to consoles/Game Pass, new DLC out today
- Gotham Knights looks to the shadows for the aerial avenger, Nightwing
- Layers of Fears captures the whole series in one new game
The post Recap: Everything that happened at Summer Game Fest 2022 appeared first on Destructoid.