A Half Life: Alyx mod ended the show
So another PC Gaming Show is in the bag! And as usual, it was a bit uneven. There was some cool stuff in there! And some not so cool stuff like ads for stuff no one wants and trailers of old games. We sifted through the bigger things so you didn’t have to.
Below you’ll find a collective of the main headlines, but the big takeaway: this showcase did not need to be two hours long on a US Sunday afternoon/European night. I know some things absolutely need to be done to pay the bills (where was Drake’s Cakes?!), but the PC Gaming Show has been around for seven years. At this point there are a lot of lessons learned to impart over the years that could be used to create a slicker show with less downtime.
It wasn’t the worst that PC Gaming Show had to offer, in a historic sense. But part of me can’t fathom that myself, and several other staff members (alongside of thousands of people around the world) sat down for two hours for this on a Sunday; directly following an hour and a half conference from a major publisher.
If there is something you’re interested in, you can check out the wide-reaching wishlist page here. This is basically the email that could have been sent to cut 30 minutes or more off the show.
2022 PC Gaming Show recap:
- Stylish action game Soulstice is still looking rad, and it’s out this year
- Klei Entertainment drops trailer for its cartoonish brawler Rottwood
- Atmospheric sci-fi thriller The Invincible gives us a look at some new gameplay
- Sega is publishing Endless Dungeon, a tactical roguelite now in open development
- The Alters is an existential tale of multiplicity from 11-bit Studios
- Mahokenshi marries card battling and hex-based strategy
- Nitro Kid puts a cyberpunk kung fu spin on the deckbuilder roguelike
- Finally, another look at System Shock, with Warren Spector, no less
- Decarnation will see your inner demons become your outer demons
- Rebuild a beautiful post apocalypse in I Am Future
- Demonschool is a school-life tactical RPG with devilish vibes coming next year
- Find the branching paths to solve the cold case of Immortality
- A new look at Agent 64 gameplay, the legally distinct Goldeneye homage
- Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2 studio went to the 40K museum for research
- Deliver Us Mars is entering the fast-filling interstellar adventure genre
- Backfirewall is about an OS that doesn’t want to update
- Synergy is a new, ecology-themed, sci-fi settlement builder
- Ambitious Half-Life: Alyx mod Leviathan brings a whole new adventure